Nespresso is one of the most popular capsule coffee machines, next to Keurig machines. The company has a large selection of delicious coffee capsules to choose from and many different kinds of drink selections. If you’re looking for a chocolatey fix, you may want to know more about what Nespresso offers in hot chocolate.
Before, many people couldn’t use their Nespresso capsules to make hot chocolate because there weren’t any on the market. Luckily, times have changed, and Nespresso has partnered with other companies to create flavored capsules for any occasion. There are also a few other tricks you can use to brew yourself a delicious and creamy cup of hot chocolate using a Nespresso machine.
Why Listen To Us? Well, because we KNOW coffee! In fact, we make our own coffee, coffee machine cleaners, and reusable capsules which we've sold to over 41 countries. Our team ouf experts include Tristan (an engineer), Claire (a food writer) and Richy (a barista). So, whether you're looking for a recipe or repair guide, we've got you covered 💚
Table of Contents
How to Make Hot Chocolate With a Nespresso Machine
A few years back, Nespresso realized that they were missing a huge market by excluding teas and hot chocolates from their capsule line. They partnered with other companies and made compatible pods. Nespresso themselves didn’t craft any official hot chocolate capsule pods.
This was genuinely disheartening for people who already owned a Nespresso, as they couldn’t get their hot chocolate fix. Despite that, it didn’t stop hot chocolate lovers from finding ways to use their Nespresso machine to make a delicious chocolatey beverage.
Below, we’ll show you what options you have today to make a hot cup of hot chocolate.
Hot Chocolate Using Nespresso Hot Chocolate Pods
Nespresso doesn’t make any hot chocolate coffee pods themselves, but other 3rd party pod manufacturers do make Nespresso-compatible pods. There isn’t much variety, but you do have the option of making it from a pod.
We’ve pulled together our favorite Nespresso Hot Chocolate capsules in this article here.
Here is how to use Nespresso Hot Chocolate capsules:
- Find a capsule brand or the official Nespresso capsule of hot chocolate and load it into your Nespresso machine.
- Make sure that there is enough water in the water reservoir. Do NOT put milk or anything else into the machine or water reservoir. Placing milk into the machine can clog the system and cause bacteria to build up and ruin the machine.
- From there, select the correct settings for the hot chocolate capsule. Generally, you will want a small cup if there are size choices. The more liquid, the less rich the hot chocolate will be.
- Once you select the settings, click the button and wait for the machine to brew.
- After the machine brews the drink, you will have a delicious cup of hot chocolate!
Hot Chocolate Using a Nespresso Aeroccino Milk Frother
The alternative option is to sneakily use the Nespresso milk frother to make yourself a delicious cup of hot chocolate. This isn’t an official method branded by Nespresso. Still, many people have been able to get their hot chocolate fix by using this method. However, not all Nespresso machines come with a milk frother, so only those who have machines with this feature can use this method.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take to make hot chocolate in a Nespresso frother:
What you’ll need:
- A machine with an Aeroccino Milk Frother (Or, you can buy stand-alone frothers here if your machine doesn’t come with one)
- 1 cup of milk – We find full fat milk works best.
- Drinking Cocoa
- Powdered Sugar
- 15g Milk or Dark Chocolate (Optional)
- Secure the whisk inside of your milk frother.
- Put one cup of your choice of milk into the frother. This can be any type of milk, including soy, almond, etc. However, for the best results, it’s suggested to use full-fat milk to get that classic creamy hot chocolate flavor.
- Put one heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder or 15g of the melted chocolate bar into the machine. Personally, Hershey’s, Nestle, or Ghiradelli work best in terms of flavor. However, you can use any type of chocolate, including white or dark.
- Next, add one heaping tablespoon of powdered sugar into the frother.
- Press the on button and let the machine do its work.
- After two minutes, you should have a perfect cup of creamy and rich hot chocolate.
TIP: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ratios of chocolate and sweetener. The amount of milk should stay the same, but the rest you can experiment with until you find that perfect ratio.
Hot Chocolate Nespresso FAQs
Can You Use Nespresso to Make Hot Chocolate?
Yes you can! While Nespresso don’t make Hot Chocolate capsules some other brands do make pods that are compatible with all original Nespresso machines. The capsules contain Hot Chocolate mix and can be made the same way as a standard coffee capsule. However, the hot chocolate capsules are generally made by other companies rather than Nespresso.
Can I Make Hot Chocolate in My Nespresso Milk Frother?
You can use a paddle using an Aeroccino cup to make hot chocolate in your Nespresso milk frother. You will need to pour one cup of cold milk into it and then one tablespoon of cocoa powder. Lastly, add one tablespoon of powdered sugar before pressing the button and waiting for the machine to finish two minutes later.
Can Nespresso Vertuo Make Hot Chocolate?
As far as we are aware there are no ‘hot chocolate’ capsules available for the Nespresso Vertuo machine by either Nespresso or 3rd party manufacturers. You can still make hot chocolate using your aeroccino milk frother using the method above if you machine comes with one.
Can You Put Milk in a Nespresso Machine?
Do not add milk to your Nespresso’s water tank!
It will burn the milk, it will clog the machine, it will break the machine, and it will absolutely stinkkk.
If you walk to add milk to drinks, you can get Nespresso Aeroccino milk frother machines to help heat and froth milk for creamy beverages and hot chocolate.
A standard Nespresso machine won’t be able to make a delicious cup of coffee if you want to use your own milk and chocolate. However, Nespresso has partnered with several big-name companies, such as Starbucks, to help craft Hot Chocolate Pods. They might be less common to find, which is a downside.
So, the best alternative is to use a Nespresso machine that has a milk frother attached. You can have complete control over the type of milk you use and the type and level of chocolate. Hopefully, this has helped you find a solution to satisfy your hot chocolate craving.