Being groggy and half-asleep does not mix well with fiddling around with some contraption first thing in the morning. On multiple occasions, I’ve even forgotten to put the capsule into the machine before hitting the brew button. A nice glass of plain hot water awaited me.
Luckily, there’s a way to avoid this, and let technology take care of the hard stuff.
Nespresso has recently launched an upgrade to their newest coffee machines – with Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity. But why is this? What is it for? And, how on earth do we use it?
Let’s take a look!
Why Listen To Us? Well, because we KNOW coffee! In fact, we make our own coffee, coffee machine cleaners, and reusable capsules which we've sold to over 41 countries. Our team ouf experts include Tristan (an engineer), Claire (a food writer) and Richy (a barista). So, whether you're looking for a recipe or repair guide, we've got you covered 💚
Table of Contents
What Nespresso Machines Have BlueTooth or WiFi Connectivity?
Currently, the Nespresso models that have WiFi and Bluetooth functionality are:
Today, we’ll focus in particular on the most popular model of Nespresso: the Vertuo Next Deluxe, and answer some of the following questions, including;
- How to use the Vertuo Next Deluxe coffee machine?
- Do I need an app for Vertuo Next Deluxe?
- How can I connect to my coffee machine?
- What features does the Nespresso app provide?
What Features Does The Nespresso App Provide?
There is a wide variety of perks for having the Nespresso app installed and up-to-date on your devices. One of the key highlights is that the machine will let you know when you’re almost out of coffee. It can also provide notifications when the water tank is almost empty.
That’s not all—The Nespresso app has instructional videos in it, and even notifies you of new flavors that are available. New flavors come out periodically, so it’s always important to check the app to see what’s new.
If you love your Nespresso but want some extras for it, the app has that covered too. The Nespresso app shows what accessories are available for your machine, and how to order them, all from the app.
The Nespresso app provides the following features:
- Schedule and brew coffee (Currently Prodigio Only)
- Alerts and Alarms
- General operating issues with the machine
- Water tank level
- Descaling alerts
- Performing remote software updates
- Machine Assistance Videos
- Machine’s serial number
- Perform a factory reset via the app
- Option to delete the machine
How To Connect To Your Nespresso Machine (Step-By-Step Guide)
Now, let’s me explain exactly how to connect your phone to your coffee machine.
- To get started with using the Vertuo Next Deluxe, it is recommended to first download the app onto any device that uses the App Store or Google Play Store. The features in the app will be discussed later, but it is a good idea to have it already downloaded before unboxing the machine.
- Next, plug in the Nespresso to an outlet and turn it on.
- Press the ‘cup’ button once to tell the machine to wake up.
- Now, let’s jump back into the app. In the top right corner, click the “My Machine” button.
- From the My Machine page, now click “Pair Vertuo Next” at the bottom of the page.
- Wait for the machine to pair
- You may need to approve the pairing on your mobile device. This is what popped up on my android phone. Press “Pair and Connect” before it times out.
- Once the Bluetooth is connected, you’ll then want to connect to WiFi as well.
- Find your WiFi network and enter the credentials just like you would for any other device.
- Success!! Press continue to complete the setup process.
- Now on the “My Machines” page there should be an entry for your now connected Nespresso machine
All done! Now after all that hard work you deserve a coffee!!
How To Make Coffee With The Nespresso App
NOTE: Currently this only works with the Nespresso Prodigio Machine.
You can use the Nepresso App with your Prodigio machine to either brew a coffee immediately, or to schedule a brew at a predetermined time.
Unfortunalty, first you’ll need to prepare the machine by loading the capsule, ensuring there is water in the tank, and placing a glass on the drip tray – So not really that helpful..
In fact, the manual button (in my option) is completely redundant. It’s easier to go over to your machine and press the button than it is to open the app and navigate to the BREW button.
The scheduling featuring it somewhat useful. If you set your alarm for 6:30am say, you can schedule your nespresso to the same time to fully optimize your morning routing.
I’ve also heard of people scheduling a 10am brew for when they are working from home, and due a break from work. Kind of clever, really!
This video below shows how to use the Nespresso app to brew a coffee on the Prodigio machine.
Troubleshooting: Why Can’t I Pair My Nespresso Machine With The Phone App?
When I first tried to set up our Nespresso machine, I got pretty much every error under the sun.. so here’s a few troubleshooting tips I picked up along the way
- Not standing close enough:
I was trying to hold my phone while pairing. No bueno! You need to put your phone literally on top of the machine like the image on the app shows.
- The machine has turned off:
Yep, after about 2 minutes the little white light on the Nespresso machine switches off indicating the machine is back in standby mode. Make sure that the machine is on and you have a solid white light before trying to connect to it
- The phone needs permission:
Yeah, that notification on screenshot 7.. well, I missed that and it wasn’t until I checked my notifications to see that my phone wanted me to approve the connection. During that time the Nespresso machine has turned off and I was back to square one!!
Nespresso Bluetooth – Frequently Asked Questions
The following are some questions we’ve had asked on getting the Bluetooth and Wifi working on our Nespresso machines.
Q. Why should I connect my Nespresso to wifi?
So you won’t be able to brew a latte from bed and have it waiting for you in the kitchen. But, you will get access to a bunch of extra information from Nespresso, including:
Alerts and Alarms
General operating issues with the machine
Water tank level
Performing remote software updates
Machine Assistance Videos
Machine’s serial number
Perform a factory reset via the app
Delete the machine
Q. Why does my Nespresso machine have Bluetooth?
That’s a great question. And once the novelty of having an app for my coffee machine wore off I was left wondering the same thing.
I think this feature is nice, but there’s really no material benefit to your everyday coffee drinking. I’ve had the app installed for a few weeks now, and haven’t used it since the day I wrote this article.
Our Take: You probably don’t need the app installed for your day-to-day but it is handy to have this feature when trying to troubleshoot a problem with the machine.
Q. Why does the Wifi on my Nespresso machine keep disconnecting?
This is most probably due to the signal strength.
Check that the wifi router is nearby and isn’t obstructed by furniture or clutter. You can also try moving the Nespresso machine next to your router to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then you might need to move your router closer to the kitchen or get a signal booster.
Q. Can I brew a coffee with my Vertuo Next Machine using the Nespresso app?
No, unfortunately not yet. But hey, there’s always the possibility Nespresso will add this feature in the future.
Q. Can I brew a coffee with my Nepresso Prodigio Machine using the Nespresso app?
Yes, You can use the Nepresso App with your Prodigio machine to either brew a coffee immediately, or to schedule a brew at a predetermined time. You’ll need to prepare the machine by loading the capsule, ensuring there is water in the tank, and placing a glass on the drip tray.