As a Breville Barista Express owner, you’re undoubtedly aware of the importance of regular descaling. This crucial maintenance step not only elevates the flavor and quality of your coffee but also contributes to the longevity of your (expensive) machine, preventing potential clogs and long term damage.
To descale your Breville barista express, press and hold the “Power” and “2-cup” buttons simultaneously. The machine will begin heating up with the “Power” button flashing continuously. Mix up descaling powder and fresh water into the reservoir and then press the “1-cup” button to initiate the descaling process. Complete a rinse cycle and you’re done!
Carry on reading for the full step-by-step instructions on how to describe this machine.
Why Listen To Us? Well, because we KNOW coffee! In fact, we make our own coffee, coffee machine cleaners, and reusable capsules which we've sold to over 41 countries. Our team ouf experts include Tristan (an engineer), Claire (a food writer) and Richy (a barista). So, whether you're looking for a recipe or repair guide, we've got you covered 💚
Table of Contents
What Is Descaling?
When water is heated, calcium and magnesium naturally present in tap water crystallize and stick to parts–heating elements and pipes–of the machine, creating a white or brown crust. Descaling, or decalcifying, is the process of removing these minerals from your machine by running a descaling solution through it. Most agents are gentle yet effective enough to dissolve the coating around these components.
How Often Do You Need To Descale Your Breville Barista Express?
As a general rule, you should descale your machine at least once every 2 to 3 months, or whenever the descale light turns on. But this may vary depending on how often you use your machine and how hard your water is.
How Long Does the Descaling Process Take?
The descaling process takes about 15 to 20 minutes. But because you’d have to repeat the steps with fresh water to rinse the machine, it might take longer.
What You Will Need
To descale your machine, you’ll need:
- A large container
- 34oz (1L) warm water
- Descaling solution
Recommendation: We suggest using this eco-descaler. It’s a natural, biodegradable, and eco-friendly product that effectively removes scale without harming your machine.
It also comes in conveniently dosed sachets. All you have to do is empty and dissolve the contents, pour the solution into the tank, and you’re good to go! It’s also compatible with all types of coffee machines, including Breville’s models.
A Step-by-Step Guide On How To Descale Your Breville Barista Express: 3 Simple Steps
Now that you have everything you need, you can start the descaling process. Here are 3 simple steps to follow.
Step 1: Exterior Clean
Before you descale your machine, you should clean the exterior parts–drip tray, portafilter, and steam wand–to remove any dirt, coffee grounds, or oils.
- Remove the drip tray and the portafilter and wash them with warm water and mild detergent. Rinse them well and dry with a soft cloth.
- Wipe the steam wand with a damp cloth and purge it by turning the steam dial to the steam icon for a few seconds. Turn the steam dial back to the standby position and wipe the steam wand again with a damp cloth.
Step 2: Descale Cycle
- Empty the drip tray and water tank.
- Remove the water carbon filter from the water tank and discard it. You will replace it with a new one after descaling.
- Dissolve the descaling solution in water and pour it into the water tank. Reinsert the tank into the machine.
- Place the container under both the group head and steam wand.
- Press and hold the “Power” and “2-cup” buttons simultaneously to enter descale mode. The machine will begin heating up with the “Power” button flashing continuously.
- When the “Power” button, “1-cup” button, “Clean/Descale” indicator, and “Hot Water/Steam” indicator turn white, the machine is ready to descale. Press the “1-cup” button to start descaling the coffee component of the machine. This will take about 25 seconds with the 1-cup button flashing continuously.
- When the “1-cup” button turns off, descale the steam component by turning the steam dial towards the steam icon. This should take about 13 seconds.
- Turn the steam dial towards the water icon to descale the hot water component.
- Repeat the previous steps to completely empty the solution in the tank.
Step 3: Fresh Water Rinse
- Remove the water tank and rinse it thoroughly. Refill it with clean cold water to the MAX line and insert it into the machine.
- Repeat steps 4 to 9 above to rinse the machine.
- After rinsing, press the Power button to exit the Descale mode. All LED lights should then switch off.
Watch: For a step-by-step tutorial, check out this YouTube video by Breville on how to descale your machine.
How To Replace The Water Filter On Your Breville Barista Express Machine
By now you should have removed the water filter. We replace the filter every 2 months, or whenever the descale light on our machine turns on. The best way to keep track of this step is to set the replacement date to 2 months ahead.
Follow these steps to replace the water filter on your machine.
- Remove and empty the water tank.
- Soak the new in fresh water for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse it under running water.
- Insert it into the filter holder and lock it in place. And then fill the water tank with clean water to the MAX line and insert it into the machine.
Now your machine is clean and ready to brew delicious coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I put my Breville coffee maker in descale mode?
To put your Breville coffee maker in descale mode, press and hold the “Power” button and the “2-cup” simultaneously. When the “Power” button flashes continuously, you’ve entered decalcifying mode.
Q. Should I descale Breville Barista Express?
You should descale your Breville Barista Express machine every 2 to 3 months to maintain its optimal performance and quality. The process removes mineral deposits that can affect the water flow, pressure, temperature, and taste of your coffee. It also prevents clogging, corrosion, and damage to your machine.
Q. Can I use vinegar to descale my Barista Express?
You can use vinegar to descale your Barista Express machine, but we don’t recommend it. It can leave a strong smell and taste in your machine and coffee, which can be unpleasant and hard to get rid of. Also, with frequent use, it can damage some of the metal parts of your machine, which can void its warranty.
Q. Do you remove the water filter when descaling Breville?
You should remove the water filter from the water tank when descaling your Breville machine. The water filter can reduce the effectiveness of the descaling solution by absorbing some of its acidity. The water filter can also be damaged by the descaling solution if left in contact with it for too long.
Q. How often do I descale my Barista Express?
As a general rule, you should descale your Barista Express every 2 to 3 months, or whenever the descale light turns on. But this may vary depending on how often you use your machine and how hard your water is.
Q. What is a substitute for Breville descaler?
If you don’t have Breville’s descaler, you can use a natural alternative such as white vinegar or baking soda. But these may not be as effective or as gentle as Breville’s product. In that case, we recommend using this eco-descaler, which is a natural and eco-friendly product that can effectively remove scale from your machine without harming it. Also, it’s compatible with all types of coffee machines.
Q. What does the flashing clean light on Breville Barista Express mean?
The flashing clean light on your Breville Barista Express means the machine needs to be cleaned to remove coffee oils and residues.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Descaling your Breville Barista Express coffee maker is more than just routine upkeep; it’s a way to ensure you brew a golden cup of coffee. This safeguards your machine’s performance and extends its lifespan because you’re not only enhancing the taste of your coffee but also maintaining the efficiency of the heating elements and pipes.
For an effective and environmentally friendly descaling solution, we recommend this eco-descaler. It’s safe, gentle, and effectively dissolves mineral buildup. Another awesome aspect is that it’s compatible with various coffee machines, which makes it a cost-effective choice if you’re seeking a product that offers great value for money.
- ✔️ ENJOY BETTER TASTING COFFEE: Infrequent descaling is the #1 reason your coffee is tasting bad. Descale and you’ll taste the difference.
- ✔️ SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR MACHINE: Our Eco Descaler is safe for all machine parts. It leaves no harmful residues and does not cause corrosion within the coffee machine.
- ✔️ WORKS ON ALL COFFEE MACHINES: Designed and tested on all leading coffee machines including Nespresso, Keurig, Dolce Gusto, Caffitaly, Breville, Delonghi, and more.