You know it’s time to descale your machine when it brews unpleasant-tasting coffee, takes longer to heat up, or produces cold coffee.
If you’ve left it too long, the orange desclaing light may have come on and even locked you out of using the machine!
But how do you perform this vital process?
To descale your Delonghi Dedica enter descaling mode by holding down the steam button for 10 seconds. Fill the water tank with a good-quality descaling product and press the steam button again to start descaling. Once done, repeat with fresh water to rinse the machine.
In this post, I will guide you through three easy steps to effectively descale your Delonghi Dedica machine. Not only will this enhance the flavor of your coffee, but it will also prolong the lifespan of your machine and prevent potential malfunctions and repairs.
Not the right machine for you? Check out our other descaling guides for Delonghi coffee machines below:
Why Listen To Us? Well, because we KNOW coffee! In fact, we make our own coffee, coffee machine cleaners, and reusable capsules which we've sold to over 41 countries. Our team ouf experts include Tristan (an engineer), Claire (a food writer) and Richy (a barista). So, whether you're looking for a recipe or repair guide, we've got you covered 💚
Table of Contents
What Is Descaling?
Over time, mineral deposits from hard water build up inside your coffee maker, clogging the water flow and reducing the brewing temperature. This can result in poor-tasting coffee and damage to the machine’s internal components. To dissolve build-up, you will have to run an acidic solution–descaler, citric acid, vinegar–through the machine. The process of eliminating this substance is called descaling.
Why Descale Your Delonghi Dedica Machine
Apart from improving the performance of your machine, here’s why we believe you should descale your machine:
- To improve the taste of your coffee.
- To extend the lifespan of your brewer.
- To remove harmful microorganisms that can cause infections, allergies, and respiratory problems.
How Often Do You Need to Descale Your Delonghi Dedica Machine
Delonghi’s user manual recommends you descale your machine every 3-6 months. You should also clean the detachable parts often. We recommend you wipe the machine’s body to get rid of any stains and spills or unclogging any dirt that might be stuck in hard-to-reach places. If you’re curious about the frequency of performing this step, we’ve provided the table below as a guide.
|The drip tray||Every day|
|Cup tray||After every use|
|Espresso cup grille||Every day|
|Coffee filters||After every use|
|Bean container||Every 2-3 weeks|
|Coffee grinder burrs||Every 2-3 weeks|
|Coffee grinder outlet||Every 200 coffees|
|Boiler outlet||After 200 coffees|
|Cappuccino maker||After every use|
|Infuser||Once a month|
How Long Does The Descaling Process Take?
You will need to set aside about an hour to descale your Delonghi Dedica machine.
What You Will Need
To ensure all the scale’s been dissolved and flushed out, you’ll need a descaler. There’s a plethora of descaling products available, but some can be pricey or harsh on your machine’s internal components. If you’re looking for a gentle option that won’t break the bank, we recommend this descaling powder. It’s just $20 for a year’s supply, and it’s gentle enough to use on all types of coffee machines.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Descaling Solution
- Clean water
- A container (large enough to capture the spent solution)
A Step-By-Step Guide On How To Descale Your Delonghi Dedica Machine
Follow the steps below to descale your machine.
- Turn on the machine.
- Empty the water tank.
- Pour the descaler into the tank and fill ⅔ of the tank with water.
- Reattach the tank to the machine.
- Place the container under the steam wand and outlet.
- Press and hold the steam button for 10 seconds.
- Turn the steam dial on and then press the “steam” button.
- After 10 seconds, turn the steam dial off.
- Wait another 10 seconds, then turn the steam dial on.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the descaling process is complete.
- When the “steam” button blinks, empty and rinse the water tank and container.
- Fill the tank with clean water.
- Turn on the steam dial and press the steam button.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 in the section above.
- When the “steam” light flashes orange, descaling is complete. The blue single and double espresso lights will come back on indicating the machine is ready to be used again
Download: Get a copy of our descaling cheatsheet below.
For a visual demonstration of how to descale your machine, check out this video by Delonghi on YouTube.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I descale my Delonghi coffee machine?
To descale your Delonghi coffee machine, follow the instructions below:
1. Turn on the machine and empty the water tank.
2. Pour the descaler into the tank and fill ⅔ of the tank with water.
3. Reattach the tank to the machine.
4. Place the container under the steam wand and outlet.
5. Press and hold the steam button for 10 seconds.
6. Turn the steam dial on and then press the “steam” button.
7. After 10 seconds, turn the steam dial off.
8. Wait another 10 seconds, then turn the steam dial on.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until the descaling process is complete.
10. When the “steam” button blinks, empty and rinse the water tank and container.
11. Fill the tank with clean water.
12. Turn on the steam dial and press the steam button.
13. Repeat steps 7 and 8.
14. When the “steam” button flashes orange, descaling is complete.
Q. How do I clean my Delonghi Dedica machine?
To clean your Delonghi Dedica machine:
1. Wipe down the machine with a damp cloth.
2. Clean the drip tray, water tank, filter holder, and filters with warm water and mild detergent. Rinse and dry them well before putting them back in place.
Q. What is a descaling solution made from?
Descaling solutions are made from acidic substances that can dissolve limescale. Some common ingredients are:
Citric acid: A natural acid found in citrus fruits. It’s mild and can effectively remove limescale without damaging your appliances or leaving a strong smell or taste. It’s also biodegradable and eco-friendly.
Lactic acid: Lactic acid is produced by fermenting sugars or starches by bacteria. Similar to citric acid, it’s mild, biodegradable, and eco-friendly.
Q. Can you descale with baking soda?
You can use baking soda to descale. But because it’s an alkali, it can’t effectively break down limescale. In this case, we think it’s best to use baking soda in combination with white vinegar to create a homemade descaling solution.
Q. Why is my orange light still flashing after descaling Delonghi Dedica?
The orange light on your Dedica machine means one of two things:
The water tank is empty or the machine is in the process of descaling.
The descaling cycle is incomplete.
To turn off the persisting orange light, fill the tank with water to the “MAX” line or repeat the descale cycle.
Q. What can I use instead of Delonghi descaler?
One of the products you can use instead of Delonghi descaler is this Eco-descaler. It’s a natural and biodegradable agent that works well with any coffee machine. It effectively removes limescale and improves the performance and lifespan of your machine. The descaler is easy to use and comes in 4 convenient sachets dosed for each deep cleaning cycle.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Regularly descaling your Delonghi Dedica machine not only enhances the taste of your coffee but also extends the lifespan of your machine.
You can use any brand of descaling product in your Dedica, as long as you dilute it with the correct amount of water to the manufacturer’s instructions.
We recommend using this Green Pods Eco Descaler. It comes with 4 sachets (1 year’s supply) which are perfectly portioned. It’s environmentally friendly, and it’s also more cost-effective than the name-brand Keurig Descalers.
- ✔️ ENJOY BETTER TASTING COFFEE: Infrequent descaling is the #1 reason your coffee is tasting bad. Descale and you’ll taste the difference.
- ✔️ SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR MACHINE: Our Eco Descaler is safe for all machine parts. It leaves no harmful residues and does not cause corrosion within the coffee machine.
- ✔️ WORKS ON ALL COFFEE MACHINES: Designed and tested on all leading coffee machines including Nespresso, Keurig, Dolce Gusto, Caffitaly, Breville, Delonghi, and more.
Let us know in the comments below if this helped and what tips and tricks you have to keep your delonghi magnifica clean and fresh.